American Diabetes Association News: The American Diabetes Association’s (ADA’s) Chief Scientific, Medical and Mission Officer, William T. Cefalu MD, will testify before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy & Commerce’s Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee during their “Priced Out of a Lifesaving Drug: The Human Impact of Rising Insulin Prices” hearing on Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
Dr. Cefalu will address the rising costs of insulin, which impact millions of Americans with diabetes who rely on this life-sustaining medication. Dr. Cefalu will share the ADA’s extensive efforts during the past five years to understand and address the issue of rising insulin costs, the impact of high insulin costs on people with diabetes and their families, and the work of the ADA’s leadership and the ADA’s Insulin Access and Affordability Working Group to gain transparency and knowledge about the insulin supply chain. The ADA is steadfastly committed to continuing to work toward long-term solutions that ensure affordable access to insulin for all who need it.
What: U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy & Commerce, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Hearing “Priced Out of a Lifesaving Drug: The Human Impact of Rising Insulin Prices”
Who: William T. Cefalu, MD, Chief Scientific, Medical and Mission Officer, American Diabetes Association
U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy & Commerce, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee:
- Representative Diana DeGette, (D-CO), Chair, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee
- Representative Brett Guthrie, (R-KY), Ranking Member, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee
Where: 2322 Rayburn House Office Building
When: Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 10:30 a.m. ET
Available live via webcast:
Additional panelists invited by the Subcommittee:
- Gail DeVore, Patient Advocate, Coloradan living with type 1 diabetes for 47 years
- Alvin C. Powers, MD, on behalf of Endocrine Society; Division Director, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism, Joe C. Davis Chair in Biomedical Science, Professor of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics, Vanderbilt University; a member of the ADA’s Insulin Affordability and Access Working Group; and the ADA’s 2017 President of Medicine and Science
- Kasia J. Lipska, MD, Yale-New Haven Medical Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Yale University
- Christel Marchand Aprigliano, MS, CEO, Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition
- Aaron J. Kowalski, PhD, Chief Mission Officer, JDRF