October 9, 2018
3M SoluPrep Film-Forming Sterile Surgical Solution is a 2% chlorhexidine gluconate and 70% isopropyl alcohol surgical skin prep that uses 3M technology to help clinicians in the fight against SSIs.
As a surgeon, I know there is always a risk to the patient of acquiring a surgical site infection,” said Dr. Daniel Segina, orthopedic trauma surgeon with Health First, Holmes Regional Medical Center. “New technologies are welcomed as an opportunity for us to better care for our patients and reduce potential complications associated with surgery.”
The new product leverages 3M’s expertise in polymer and adhesive technology in the form of a proprietary 3M™ Prep Protection Film. When the copolymer film dries, it forms a water-insoluable film on the skin, helping the proven bacteria-killing agent chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) stay on a patient’s skin and able to withstand the rigors of simulated surgical conditions – including repetitive wiping.
“At 3M, we apply 3M Science to deliver safe and effective solutions that help improve patients’ lives and outcomes,” said Dr. Todd Fruchterman, vice president and general manager, 3M Medical Solutions Division. “While we are always looking for ways to arm our clinicians with the most advanced infection prevention solutions possible, we also encourage patients to help take control of their own outcomes by asking their care team about surgical preps and learning how they can help protect them.”
In studies comparing 3M SoluPrep Film-Forming Sterile Surgical Solution to the current market-leading CHG prep, the 3M solution was shown to have:
- More CHG remaining on the skin after subjection to simulated surgical conditions2,3*
- Easy visibility on all skin tones to help track coverage and make sure no spots are missed4,5
- High viscosity to minimize running6, which can lead to dripping and pooling—a known operating room fire and patient chemical burn risk.
1) Center for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/surveillance/index.html
2) Data on file. 3M Study EM-05-013603, 3M Health Care.
3) Data on file. TECH-REPORT-05-299473, 3M Health Care.
4) Data on file. 3M Study EM-05-014116, 3M Health Care.
5) Data on file. 3M Study EM-05-014182, 3M Health Care.
6) Data on file. TECH-REPORT-05-302302, 3M Health Care.
*Using an ex vivo porcine skin model, equivalently sized areas were prepped with SoluPrep™ Film-Forming Sterile Surgical Solution and the current market-leading prep and challenged with repetitive saline soak/wipe.