Ellex Medical Lasers Limited, announced that it will showcase its proprietary glaucoma treatment portfolio, including its breakthrough iTrackTM minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) technology, at the 2018 annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) in Washington, 13-17 April 2018. Ellex’s proprietary Reflex TechnologyTM for the treatment of symptomatic floater patients will also be on display.
With more than 9000 members, the ASCRS is considered to be the preeminent educational society for anterior segment (front of the eye) surgeons in the USA. The 2018 meeting of ASCRS provides a strong platform for Ellex to target cataract and refractive surgeons with the Company’s iTrackTM and Ellex tangoTM Selective Light Therapy portfolios for glaucoma, as well as its Reflex TechnologyTM portfolio for floater management.
Ellex Glaucoma Highlights at the ASCRS 2018 Meeting will include:
• Ellex iTrackTM customers and key opinion leaders (KOL) Dr. Mahmoud A. Khaimi (Dean McGee Eye Institute, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma) and Dr. Mark J. Gallardo (El Paso Eye Surgeons, Texas) will present their 18-month and 24-month ABiCTM data respectively as part of the official ASCRS scientific program:
“Efficacy and Safety of a MIGS Ab Interno Approach in Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma Over an 18-Month Period”
Mahmoud A. Khaimi, MD Saturday, April 14, 2018 Walter E. Washington Convention Center – Level 1, 144A
“Efficacy of Standalone and Combined Phacoemulsification-Ab Interno Canaloplasty in Patients with Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma”
Mark J. Gallardo, MD
Saturday, April 14, 2018
Walter E. Washington Convention Center – Level 1, 144A
• Incorporation of Ellex iTrackTM in MIGS Instructional Course (STS-14: MIGS Part B) hosted by the ASCRS scientific committee. Course participants will practice various minimally invasive glaucoma surgical techniques, using a variety of microstents i.e. Glaukos iStent, and other devices i.e. ABiC with iTrack. Ellex will engage a number of faculty members alongside its team of Clinical Applications Specialists to run the iTrackTM component of the course.
• Ellex-hosted educational symposium and in-booth initiatives featuring Dr. Mark A. Latina, (New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, MA), the inventor of SLT Selective Light Therapy for glaucoma, Dr. Gallardo, Dr. Nathan Radcliffe (New York Eye Surgery Center, NY) and Dr. Paul I. Singh (Eye Centers of Racine and Kenosha, IL) to exploit the synergies between Ellex iTrackTM and Ellex tangoTM. Ellex maintains its position as the only company in the world to offer both a glaucoma SLT laser and a MIGS device.
• The Ellex exhibit as part of the ASCRS tradeshow exhibition will feature Tango ReflexTM, the Company’s premium combination laser for treating glaucoma, vitreous opacities (eye floaters) and post-cataract scar tissue. It will also incorporate a series of interactive wet labs for the Ellex iTrackTM MIGS device.
• For the first time Ellex has been asked to present at the Ophthalmology Innovation Summit (OIS) to be held in conjunction with the ASCRS on 12 April 2018. Ellex CEO Tom Spurling will present “Ellex – A global leader in restorative glaucoma therapy” to an audience of approximately 1,000 investors, medical practitioners and key industry executives.
“In the majority of cases, MIGS is performed in conjunction with cataract surgery. Whilst the Ellex iTrack is unique in that it can also be performed as a standalone procedure, the biggest target for our iTrack technology is the cataract surgeon. To that end, ASCRS provides the perfect platform to promote the iTrack device to this captive audience of physicians, “ commented Ellex CEO, Tom Spurling.
“The use of MIGS devices in the USA as an alternative to glaucoma medications has exploded over the past few years, and we anticipate this trend will continue as more physicians in the USA and abroad integrate MIGS technologies into their glaucoma treatment paradigm. At present the MIGS market makes up only US$300 million, as compared to the total global glaucoma market at US$5 billion. We expect the MIGS share of the market to grow significantly,” added Mr. Spurling.
Ellex Reflex TechnologyTM Highlights at ASCRS 2018 will include:
• Ellex customer and KOL Dr. Paul I Singh will present a cases series of laser floater treatment (LFT) as part of the official ASCRS scientific program. Dr. Singh has performed LFT with Ellex’s proprietary Reflex TechnologyTM on more than 3000 patients, with study findings revealing a 93 percent satisfaction rate among his patients.
“New use of SD-OCT to Document the Shadow Being Cast on the Retina by Vitreous Opacities Pre and Post Nd:YAG Laser Floater Removal”
Paul I. Singh, MD
Sunday, April 15, 2018
Walter E. Washington Convention Center – Level 1, 144B
• Ellex-hosted educational symposium and in-booth initiatives featuring Paul I. Singh, MD, and refractive surgeons Dr. Karl G. Stonecipher (TLC Laser Eye Center, NC) and Dr. Ivan Mac (Metrolina Eye Associates, NC) to highlight the role of LFT in the treatment of symptomatic floater patients. Ellex maintains its position as the only company in the world to offer a specifically-designed laser i.e. Reflex TechnologyTM, for the visualization and treatment of floaters.
Commenting on the significance of Ellex’s Reflex TechnologyTM, Mr Spurling said: “Sources suggest that up to 30 percent of the general population have symptomatic floaters that significantly impair their vision. The majority of these patients are usually advised to tolerate their symptoms, however, due to the risks associated with conventional laser treatment and vitrectomy surgery. Our next-generation Reflex TechnologyTM provides doctors with a safe, effective in-office treatment option for these patients who suffer from clinically significant eye floaters.”
“Our mission is to replace the global installed base of YAG lasers, estimated by Marketscope at 28,000 units, with our portfolio of Reflex Technology YAG lasers,” added Mr. Spurling.
For additional information about Ellex and its participation in the ASCRS 2018 meeting, please visit http://www.ellex.com/ascrs/