Publication of Outcomes of Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) in 1,000 Consecutive Patients

Section 2

Northwell Health Sends Vaccinators to Ecuador

At the request of Ecuador’s Minster of Health, and for the first time since the start of the pandemic, the Northwell Health CGH team traveled outside of the U.S. on June 13 to help get shots in arms relieve overburdened health care workers in the South American country who have been working around the clock in the race to vaccinate their population.

Fusion Marketplace Changes Healthcare Traveler Experience

Fusion Marketplace is a traveler-first driven platform giving healthcare professionals the power to make decisions in their careers that they haven't been able to in the past.

Apollo Endosurgery, Inc. announced the publication of Outcomes of Endoscopic Gastroplasty (“ESG”) in 1,000 Consecutive Patients from a single center – King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia featured in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (GIE)

ESG is an endoscopic minimally invasive weight loss procedure based on full-thickness endoscopic suturing using Apollo’s OverStitch™ device. In the ESG procedure, a series of sutures are placed through the gastric wall reducing the stomach volume by 80% creating a restrictive endoscopic sleeve. The result allows a patient to consume less food and remain satiated longer.

“Our experience has been that patients find the ESG procedure very appealing and for our practice it is now an established option for our patients. In these first 1,000 consecutive patients that we treated with Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty, patients experienced a 100% remission for hypertension related comorbidities, a 70% remission rate for type 2 diabetes with the remaining 30% showing significant improvement, and we confirmed that ESG is a safe, well-tolerated, and effective procedure. In addition, we also achieved 64.7% excess weight loss at 18 months follow-up, which is comparable to results achieved with other surgical bariatric interventions,” said Dr. Aayed AlQahtani, Professor of Surgery at King Khalid University Hospital and Director of Obesity Chair at King Saud University.

Key data reported from the 1,000 patients who underwent the ESG procedure include:

  • Mean age was 34.4 ±9.5 years, and mean BMI was 33.3 ±4.5 kg/m2
  • Mean % total weight loss at 18 months was 14.8 ±8.5%
  • Significant impact to obesity related comorbidities occurred by month three:
    • 13 of 17 cases of type 2 diabetes were in complete remission
    • All 28 cases of hypertension were in complete remission
    • 18 of 32 cases of dyslipidemia were in complete remission
  • 24 (2.4%) patients were admitted to the hospital due to postoperative complaints. No patient required an emergency intervention and there were no mortalities

Note: The OverStitch endoscopic suturing system enables advanced endoscopic surgery by allowing physicians to place full-thickness sutures from a flexible endoscope. This new technology enables a secure approximation of tissue endoscopically and a wide range of less invasive solutions for physicians who treat defects in both the upper and lower GI tract of their patients. Additionally, physicians are leveraging endoscopic suturing to perform a variety of advanced bariatric procedures. 

spot_img

DON'T MISS

Hyperfine Adds Medtech Leader and Visionary Scott Huennekens as Executive Chairman

Mr. Huennekens’ public boards include Chairman of Acutus Medical (IPO August 2020); Chairman of Envista (IPO September 2019); and board member of Nuvasive. He also serves as a board member and past Chairman of the Medical Device Manufacturer’s Association (MDMA).

One Drop Reports Carrie Siragusa, CPA Appointed VP of Commercial Strategy, Biosensor

Formerly Head of Innovation and Diabetes Portfolio at Sanofi, Siragusa will be part of a team bringing a multi-analyte dermal sensor (biosensor) with continuous health sensing capabilities to market with a mission to provide broader access to continuous glucose monitoring.

Barbara Moorhouse Appointed as Medica Non-Executive Director

Barbara has extensive business and management experience in the private, public, and regulated sectors.

Subscribe to Medical Device News Magazine here.

Related Articles