The pandemic has brought about more than just the widespread infection caused by the Coronavirus. For starters, people have been experiencing many more conditions and ailments as a result of this pandemic. One of the most prominent conditions we have observed in people is the increase of acne and breakouts due to the constant use of masks. Be it disposable or breathable cotton masks, the level of skin irritation for long hours is enough to give people with the clearest skin a face riddled with acne. Now that vaccinations have been administered widely, we can focus on other aspects of our well being, such as skincare. Today, let’s talk about five such ingredients that will help subside any mask-related acne, or as the masses are calling it today, Maskne.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most common ingredients used to treat hormonal acne in teenagers and adults. It is used as the first step to their custom skin care routine and helps to eliminate all the bacteria present on the skin which may be causing acne. Benzoyl peroxide is not an ingredient to be taken lightly and must be administered at the lowest strength first, i.e. a 1% topical ointment. Once applied to the affected area, this ingredient dries quickly and helps in shrinking active acne as well. However, your skin may be prone to some purging at first, where the acne worsens before healing completely. It takes about 3-4 months for the treatment to show complete results, so patience and consistency is the key.
- Salicylic Acid: Salicylic acid is another ingredient that follows benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment to shrink and dry active acne. Again, starting with the lowest concentration is highly advised, and you can increase the strength of the solution once your skin adapts to it.
- Tea Tree Oil: If you are looking for natural ingredients to heal your acne, invest in tea tree oil-infused products. Face wash, toner, moisturizer or serum will help to naturally calm the acne and redness. You’ll also receive the benefits of scar removal with this beneficial organic ingredient.
- Niacinamide: Once acne begins to heal, it leaves a lot of scars and marks. If you have hyperpigmentation, you can darken the spots, or leave patches if the density of acne was to the extreme at a particular location, say the cheeks or forehead. Ten percent Niacinamide serum is known to lighten such spots and marks while treating your skin gently.
- Retinol: Retinol or retinoids are active ingredients and highly powerful when it comes to acne treatment. The lower concentration can be used to start healing your skin from the base cause of acne, but this too may cause some purging. It is advised to take the counsel of your dermatologist before using any form of retinoids.
Everyone wishes to have clear and healthy skin, but that got put on the back burner once we had to wear N95 masks and the PPE kits to protect ourselves from a greater threat. We hope that the